The Pantera Place
"Your de Tomaso Connection"
Engine Removal & Install Brackets
By Ralph Granchelli
rgranchelli at esedona.net
I have a wide variety of generic engine lift brackets in stock. I considered using an intake manifold lift bracket on my aluminum intake, but I could imagine my engine / transaxle assembly crashing down on my car crushing it or myself and wanted something much more robust.
I also wanted to simplify the engine extraction / installation process. I needed a set of brackets specific to the Pantera that would allow me to remove and install everything by myself quickly.
I looked at the factory install set up and they have a set of brackets. That hook to the center set of exhaust manifold bolt holes and come up and over the valve covers. I wanted an application specific solution such as this, however stronger and easier to make.
So...I took a piece of 10" I beam and cut it the length of the head exhaust port area.
I then cut the beam down the center giving me two halves. The flange portion fits right over the exhaust ports. I used the exhaust gaskets as templates, marked, center punched and drilled holes so I could bolt it to the engine. The weight of the engine /transaxle assembly is now spread out equally over all the exhaust flange bolts.
I trimmed the flange brackets so they clear the engine compartment when lifted.
The rear lift holes where you bolt your chains on are about two inches forward from the rear of the cylinder heads. This appears to be the balance point for most Pantera engine/transaxle combinations. If yours is different, make a new set of holes and relocate the chains to accommodate your situation.
I then use a nylon ratcheting strap from the rear of the transaxle to the top of my engine hoist to adjust the angle of the transaxle.
To protect the valve covers during the process, I put some heavy foam next to the valve covers and then put wood blocks in to keep the chains away. I also use a leveler to equalize the chain distance and generally to make life easier.
I had to take the rear bumper off to get enough reach from the hoist.
With this arrangement I can extract or install the engine by myself in about 30 minutes not including disassembly or hook up of course.
This is not an elegant solution. It is however easy to use by one person and it appears to be near indestructible.